Wednesday, 15 August 2012

It worked! Drape drape 3

Dear bloggers,
With much relief I want to say my first foray into Japanese pattern books worked!


This pattern is going to be a favourite for knits but I want to make up this dress in a woven. The next step is a muslin out of something slippery  from the stash and if that works I want to do it in silk with silk lining for a special event. I had a standby pattern in case this pattern did not work. The motif on the material ended up centered by accident. I didn't realize the motifs were so big and the material was only just wide enough for the pattern  piece.
Then I almost bungled the sleeves. I had hemmed too much of the armhole opening and taken it up too far to the wrong marking and the placement of the back neck piece did not work. I wasn't going to unpick it so I re pinned the back neck which left me with the option of placing the gathered bit under the bodice side a bit further down the front armhole than the pattern says. Then I  top stitched it in place. The construction is actually simple once you know how (like many things). I want to try some of the more outlandish garments later. DD likes this dress too.

Rearranging the front sleeve cap


Off to do the woven. I was glad to find there is a Pattern Review of a woven version of this dress here
Happy sewing people. A link to my review is here

15 comments:

  1. Wow, you've outdone yourself here! I love your dress and the fabric is luscious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good work, Valerie! The dress looks fantastic, and I still can't get my head around that pattern shape you showed in the previous post. It is a marvel of engineering. Look forward to the next version. xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. you look uber stylish - what a great look - and fantastic colours on you too..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very nice Valerie. A lovely dress. You have done a great job.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So pretty. The dress came out gorgeous, and I love how you styled it with the tights and boots. Super cute look.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks ladies. Did I mention my daughter really loves this dress? She has half convinced me to give it to her - as - this may come as a shock - I do have more knit material in the stash.
    Cuckoochanel - thanks. These little ankle boots taper in enough at the ankle to work with dresses. It is almost spring here so I look forward to wearing this style with strappy sandals.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful Valerie, both the pattern and the fabric. Don't give it away ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OK I won't. You twisted my arm :)) DD will have her own version from a different material.

      Delete
  8. This looks 'very you' with the colourings of the fabric. It will be super heading into spring, then summer!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. i have alwasy thought this dress is one of the more wearable ones in the book. It looks great on you! Lucky you to be able to use the Japanese patterns without significant alterations.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Too true. Having to do a FBA on it would be tricky, to say the least. I want to try some of the more crazy patterns in the book as well...soon

      Delete
  10. Somehow I've just discovered your blog (late to the party!) via a search on this book, hoping to come across someone who'd made this pattern in particular - hooray!

    Your dress looks great on you and I am so pleased to see it looks this good out in the real world.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gabrielle, welcome to my blog. Isn't Drape drape a beautifully inventive book? It gives a new perspective into what a pattern can be.

      Delete
  11. This is beautiful on you! What a happy chance that the fabric centered as well. What a funky pattern!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wonderful. Great fit. Love seeing the shape of the actual pattern- Love Pattern Magic/ Drape Drape!

    ReplyDelete